Ketosis is a natural state for the body when it is almost completely fueled by fat. The potential benefits of ketosis include increased mental and physical endurance, effortless fat loss, and lowered insulin levels. Other benefits that have been observed include, reversal of Type 2 diabetes, control of epilepsy, normalized blood pressure, less acne, less heartburn, calm stomach, reversal of PCOS, Fewer migraines and lowered sugar cravings.
I like to tell everyone that if you jump in too fast, you will get spooked out of following this way of eating so here’s my advice:
- Gradually work your way into this way of eating by first cutting out sweets, then grains, then other remaining high calorie foods.
- Learn one ketogenic recipe a week, to slowly build up a repertoire of recipes.
- If you drink tea or coffee, add fats such as coconut oil and butter to prolong the time before you need to eat a meal.
- Eat lots of vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are generally keto friendly.
- Drink plenty of water. It is commonly recommended to divide your weight by 2, then convert that number to ounces.
- Add himalayan salt to your diet, as well as magnesium supplements.
When you are ready to switch to ketogenic living:
- Calculate your macros and stick to them as much as possible.
- Get a useful cookbook and get cooking! Many women in the community like to get inspiration from pinterest as well.
- Be patient if you are trying to lose fat. You will likely hit a plateau, but if you stick to it, the fat will continue to melt off.
- Throw away the scale! Instead, take a reference picture of yourself and compare your body to your “starting body” over time.